Saturday 6 August 2016

"Bible" isn't just a subject {how we start our school day}

I've been meaning to share with you, for a while, about our new morning routine, during school time.

I can't remember exactly where I was challenged about our mornings. It may have been a podcast, or a book I was reading, or a Facebook post from someone.

That part doesn't matter.

What I WAS convicted about was that our schooling was working around me desperately trying to get the children to complete X, Y and Z. It was always a rush to DO. Any Bible learning we did was just part of any Bible centred curriculum we are using (and I try to use plenty with a Bible-centred emphasis). I became convicted about my priorities. Instead of rushing to do "learning", I needed to start off the day with what was most important. God, His Word, His people. If we didn't do ANYTHING else then so long as we had spent time learning about God, His Word, and His ways, then we had learned something FAR more important than any intellectual gain.

I decided we would jump back in with Sally and Clay Clarkson's "Our 24 Family Ways".  It's a great book guide that uses 24 "ways", that the Clarksons used in their own family, as the backbone. They are all based on scriptural principles, and each day has scripture that ties in with the character trait being taught. We have used it before, but it had been a while. I saw some character traits in my children that needed some training, so it was perfect to go through again.

I also decided to use "The Gospel Story Bible" every morning. This book takes all the major Biblical events and ties the gospel into each one, teaching children to see everything as working towards the Saviour coming, and the great plan of salvation. It's wonderful to see it all woven together and a simple read aloud for children.

Recently, I was talking to some homeschool friends about geography, and what curriculum they used. They told me about using "Operation World" prayer guide as a backbone to learn about countries and cultures around the world. I had NO idea what Operation World WAS! It turns out that it is a FANTASTIC resource. (As a side note, this is a "Must have" for any Church! It is packed full of helpful information that could be used in multiple settings as  Church - prayer meetings, children's ministry, youth work, outreach - it's simply super!!!) It goes through all the countries in the world, outlining some basic general information, and then praise and prayer points for that country. Some countries have fairly extensive information, which we have picked through. It's a massive tome, but an incredible resource. We also got the book "Windows on the World" which goes through many people groups, specifically from a child's perspective, and again highlights areas for prayer. It isn't as extensive as the Prayer Handbook for OW, but it's more child directed and visual. Operation World also has a fantastic website, also including prayer videos for many of the countries in the world.

What we will also be adding, in September, are the scripture memory verses from "Matters of the Heart". I think that Scripture Memorisation is something that I have not been intentional enough about with my children. They learn their memory verse for Friday Club, but I don't even put as much effort into THAT as I ought to.  *blush* As I plan to learn these verses myself, it seems sensible to do it as a family.  I  have now printed out the printable verses, which we will then learn together daily, with a new verse each week.

Don't forget that for this week only, all the Matters of the Heart product are on special offer, for the launch! (Click on the visual below to go to the online shop.)

scripture memorization


And, I have also found out that if you order the book this week, you get ALL the products below for FREE! Yes, for FREE!!! There are some really helpful resources in there. 


31 Days to a Better Marriage eBook by Carlie Kercheval of Fulfilling Your Vows
12 Printable Pocket Bible Verses for Women from Today's Frugal Mom
More than Words for Moms Devotional by Stephanie Eidson of Multi Taskin Mom
Mini Prayer Book Printable by Brittany Ann of Equipping Godly Women
DIY Personal Spiritual Retreat Kit by Arabah Joy
Without Regret (a Christian Fiction Novel) by Elaine Mingus of Radcial Christian Woman
Inspirational Quote Pack (3 Printable 8 x 10’s) from The Modest Mom Blog
Family Favourites Meal Plan from Sharla at Freezer Meals 101
3 Printable Scripture Verses (8 x 10) from Sunu at Faith Art Designs

That's a whole lotta love and kindness given to you for NOTHING, out of the generous spirit of those who have produced them - they want to bless YOU! These are other mums and women in the spiritual trenches, who desire to build up others in their faith, to the glory of God.

In addition, don't forget about the prayer and praise journal to go alongside the book, as well as the printable verses, all available at the special launch week prices, or as an extra special bundle price. 

One of my favourite parts of our new morning routine, though, is that I am now regularly praying with, and for, my children. They have heard me pray for them before - but now, specifically, they hear me plead before the throne for their souls. There is nothing I desire more in life than that my children come to know the Lord as their Saviour. I can teach them character - that's great. I can teach them facts and figures - useful and profitable. But, the best thing I can do is point them towards the one who alone can be their life and all, and only if they place their faith in Him, and seek forgiveness for their sins. That is what they hear me seeking the Lord for EVERY DAY. I trust that the Lord would even use that to lead the to Himself.

I think it's so important to have God and His ways at the centre of all we desire to teach our children. When we raise our children, God's Word shouldn't be incidental - it should be intentional. How can we ever expect our children to follow God's ways if we don't TEACH them to our children?




I'd love to hear what other people do to teach their children about the Lord and His Word. Do you have a daily Bible time? How does it work for your family? What do you love about it?

I trust you have a blessed Lord's Day tomorrow, and don't forget to make use of the Matters of the Heart book deal. Don't miss out - it ends in around 48 hours! 

1 comment :

  1. We also have a Bible time at the start of the day. Currently we are using Doorposts' 'Put On Chart' lesson book, and Trudi Parkes' 40 Days 40 Bites for prayer time, but we have also used Windows on the World and Operation World in the past. Open Doors UK's resources for children are often good too. Thanks for sharing your book recommendations :-)

    ReplyDelete