Tuesday 15 April 2014

Tots on a Tuesday {chick printable}

I want to start sharing with about some of the activities I do with my younger children, of pre-school and early years age.  There are many things that I have found to have both fantastic play and educational value.  I think that it's good to share, so that's what i plan to do!

Today, you have the added bonus of being my "guinea pigs" - I am sharing my first ever set of printables! So, please have grace if things are not perfect! I have tried to pick up on any errors and sort them out, but please let me know if I have missed anything.

When I was recently at The Range (a large store with LOADS of craft/home items of all sorts - LOVE IT), and they had cute little packs of craft style chicks, for £1 per pack of 8. They CALLED to me.  They said "I could be very useful - BUY ME"! Of course, I did.  *aherm*


Cute, yes?


 I was looking at them today, and thought "you could be part of something wonderful".

I have been working on identifying numbers with my younger children, and these chicks seemed the ideal candidate to become a fun, soft, cute little manipulative.  I began with the concept of cards, with pictures and numbers.





I thought these could be used with the chicks, and the child can place the right number of chicks to match the picture and number.




Like so..



I also printed the number words to match the numbers (1-10), which can also be matched up.



You can also see (just about, amongst my spots on teh tablecloth!!) that I have little circle "counters" with the chicks printed individually.  If you didn't have the craft type chicks, these could be used instead.

I also produced little cards with just the chicks on them, in groups of 1 to 10.





If you printed two sets of these you could play "pairs" - the memory games - or snap. 

I also thought you could use these as a clothes pin activity, matching peg with the correct number, to the picture with the right number of items. 



I already had the pegs with the numbers written on them, and added the printed chicks.




You could also use the pegs to match the numeral with the number word.



At the moment, I have no cute pictures of my children using these, because they are fresh off the press! As with any printables that I use, I have laminated them for durability. You could do it on card, especially if you don't want to be able to see the picture or words through the back.


There may be other ways to use these cute chickie items, and feel free to share anything you do with them! 

You can find the printable here. As I mentioned before, let me know if there are any problems or errors.  

Enjoy!


1 comment :

  1. Ohhh... i have an idea for tots on a tuesday - not using chicks though - an iSpy bottle. I am planning to make mine into a Sunday toy that i can use with Bible stories. (lost coin, lost sheep, lion, pig, fish - other objects that tie in well to toddler Bible-time. (I am going to make one with Josiah when hes a bit older)
    Example of a general iSpy bottle...
    http://www.sweethappylife.com/2011/easy-family-recipes/i-see-bottles-i-spy-bottles/

    I will look forward to reading all about your ideas too to try out on Josiah during "Josiah Day" which we have once a week on a Tuesday (my day off).

    Christine

    ReplyDelete