Monday 21 April 2014

Resurrection Mornings {looking for Jesus}

There are so many precious passages in the New Testament which tell us the events that surround the death and resurrection of our Saviour.  Many precious truths are contained in these passages, and it thrills my heart that you can read them time and time again and EVERY time you will be blessed.  How can God's children NOT be blessed thinking upon such things?

Robert was preaching from one such passage on the Lord's Day evening.  I literally felt like I was hearing words for the first time, yet I know I have read them and heard them many times before.

There are often many ways to look upon a passage - you can be rebuked and blessed at the same time.

The passage was found in Luke 24 - the account of those who came to the tomb on the third day, and what happened afterwards.

The first thing that spoke to my heart related to the time of day.

"very early in the morning"

These women sacrificed sleep, and rose VERY early, to go and find the Saviour, intending upon embalming his body with ointments and spices.   He was dead, and yet they still cared for the Saviour. They were willing to sacrifice, humanly speaking, to be there.

AS a daughter of the King, am I willing to put my earthly desires and wishes to one side, in order to put the Saviour first?  I know that not everyone can actually rise VERY early, in order to have their quiet time, but I still maintain, if it is at all possible, that having such a communion with the Lord, is worth the sacrifice of sleep.  You can, of course, go to bed sooner, and that helps! The principle is this - no matter the time of day - we need to prioritise our time, and consider time spent with the Lord as an important and vital use of our time.

The next thing that spoke to my heart, and which Robert referred to, was this - the angels rebuked the women who came.

I had never thought of it as a rebuke, and yet it was.

"Why seek ye the living among the dead? 
 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, 
Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again."
Luke 24:5-7


They were basically saying

"what are you doing looking for the Lord HERE? He TOLD you He would rise again.  So, why are you looking for a dead body?"


Ouch.

When we come looking to commune with the Lord, whatever time of day it might be, you may find it's a rebuke you get, when reading His Word.

So, what of these women? What is their error that needs rebuking?

We read of it happening over and over again in the scriptures - people seem to so easily forget what God has told them.  Their memories seem so short.  They get  caught up in the emotion of a situation and forget God's words. Whether it's a time of fear, of conflict, of trial, of challenge, they seem to forget so quickly.

We'd never do such a thing, especially as emotional women.  Right?...

Sadly, I see myself in that scenario.  God makes promises, and He keeps them.  Yet, I doubt, and I forget so easily. My mind and my focus moves away from the Lord, and onto myself and my situation.

I hit hard times, and I forget His promises.

What the chapter says next, is what *I* need to do.

"And they remembered his words"

They remembered what the Lord had told them, for themselves.

You see, God's Word is dependable.  If He says it, it's true.  If He says He will do something, He will do it.  If He says He will give something, He will give it.  If He says He will strengthen, He will strengthen.  If He says He will give rest, HE will give rest.

Think of the promise you need, and remember His Words. Whatever sorrow, trial, struggle or challenge you are facing, God has a promise, and He keeps His Word.

He's dependable.

He is true.

He is faithful.

I am so thankful for my risen Saviour, and that I can trust Him to keep His Word, just as He did centuries ago, when He rose triumphant over death and hell, to claim the victory over sin, for ME!

Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

Man of Sorrows! what a name
For the Son of God, who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim.
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood.
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

Guilty, vile, and helpless we;
Spotless Lamb of God was He;
“Full atonement!” can it be?
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

Lifted up was He to die;
“It is finished!” was His cry;
Now in Heav’n exalted high.
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

When He comes, our glorious King,
All His ransomed home to bring,
Then anew His song we’ll sing:
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!












No comments :

Post a Comment