Wednesday 9 April 2014

Lacking wisdom? {ask of God}

I am pretty certain that I am not the only mother who has children regularly come to her, in frustration, because they can't do something.

"I can't tie my tie"

"I can't do up my laces"

"I can't read this word"

"I can't work out my maths"

"I can't get my top on right"

"I can't get my shoes on"

"I can't get my toys off that shelf"

It sometimes seems like a never-ending stream of "I can'ts"!

When a child comes to me with their "I can'ts", I tell them the same thing every time.

"If you just come and ask me, I will help you - that's what I am here for!"

As their Mum, it's my joy and delight to help them.  Children don't know how to do everything. It's natural to need help on a regular basis.

It's asolutely the same for us.  There are so many times where I just don't quite know how to deal with a situation. Differences of opinion in my marriage.  Challenges with child training.  Knowing how best to manage situations.  Often, I feel the "I can't do it" mentality creep in.  I just have no idea waht to do.

James gives us the answer.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

I think it bears remembering where this verse stems from. James is telling us to have joy when we come across trials - joy! - reminding us that trials teach us patience. Then he tells us to ask for wisdom.  It's in those trials and "temptations" that we often feel we lack wisdom, as to how to deal with it.  God can, and WILL, provide that wisdom, if we just ask. It's that simple.

Or is it?

James goes on to say that we need to ask  in faith - nothing wavering. Not to be like a wave of the sea, tossed about.  We need to believe that God can, and will. We have our part to play, as well.

It would be a bit like a child coming and asking for help - they need to ask, and know we can help them with it, or they won't ask at all.

God is faithful.  We know He is. He proves Himself time and time again. We need to just come in faith, and ask for the wisdom.  Then, rest in the assurance that He will give it to us. Not only that, but He gives LIBERALLY! Our great God is a generous, and kind God.

All of us face different trials, and they can even change from day to day. If  when you are facing trials and struggles this week, ask God for wisdom. Ask in faith. Believe He will give it to you.  He will show you the way. Personally, I am going to cling to the "Liberally" part of the verse, because I regularly feel I need a LOT of wisdom, with my busy family life!

 God is good, and God answers prayer.


No comments :

Post a Comment