Friday 29 March 2013

But the greatest of these is love....

It's "Good Friday".

I'm not exactly sure where it got its name from.  There must be a story behind it.  Ultimately, it WAS a good day.  No, it wasn't just "good", it was wonderful.

It was that day, nearly 2000 years ago, when my precious Lord, Jesus Christ, gave His life as a ransom for many.

That "many" includes ME.

He is MY Saviour.  It was MY sins that nailed Him to that horrid Roman cross.  It was MY sin that he bore the punishment for, hanging upon that tree.  That He endured the pain and suffering for - whipped, beaten, thorns in brow, sword in side. The Father forsaking the Son.  The depths of darkness as He endured the cross, despising the shame.

And why?

Why would HE do that?  Why would HE bear the sins of so many upon that cross?

Love.

That's why.



"For God SO loved the world...."
John 3:16


 "Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us:"
I John 3:16



"In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. 
 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." 
I John 4:9&10


Despite our sin - BECAUSE of our sin, and the punishment it deserves - He loved, and gave His life.

Unfathomable.

Undeserving.

Unselfish.

Giving His all, so that we could have all we need.

His death, for our life.

So, what can we do with this love today, as we remember His death and His suffering?

Thank.  I can be thankful for that sacrifice - for His death - for the atonement for my sins - for my knowledge of sins forgiven - for my assurance of an eternity without Christ. I can thank the Lord - over and over - for "for his great love wherewith he loved us". 

Give.  I can renew my devotion and commitment to the Lord.  Reaffirm my life as one that is "all for Jesus", because He gave His all for me.  Give all that I have, and am, to Him - in complete dedication.  Live my life to His glory alone.

Love.


"Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another."


We need to learn to love like Jesus loves us.  Freely.  Unconditionally. Sacrificially.  Wholeheartedly. Fully.  Unselfishly.  What a challenge.  When we see His perfection, and feel the inadequacies of our own sinful heart.  And yet, if God loved us, we OUGHT to love one another.  What a challenge.  Our husband.  Our children.  Our family.  Our friends.  Our neighbours.  Strangers.  Enemies.

Share.  We need to tell others about what God has done for us.  That we are all vile and wretched sinners, before a holy and perfect God.  That our sin must be punished and that we deserve death and hell.  That God sent His only son, because He LOVES sinners, to die and take the punishment for sin.  That if we but acknowledge and turn from our sin, and trust in Him as our only Saviour, then we CAN be saved.  Tell others of God's grace and goodness to us - that He longs for them to accept His grace and goodness, too. 

"I can do all things through Christ"





When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

His dying crimson, like a robe,
Spreads o’er His body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
Isaac Watts






No comments :

Post a Comment