Sunday 2 December 2012

All in a week

The last 7 days have been interesting.  So much has gone on, amidst all the ill health.  When I started looking through my photos, it showed an array of different things

Last Saturday I hit the local garden centre.  I had TOTALLY forgotten about buying bulbs to plant in the garden, for the spring.  There were very few that appeared this last spring, in our "new" garden, and I love spring flowers.  It's my favourite season.

So, we dashed off last Saturday (as well as ordering some beauties online).  Well, when we went in, we saw something we were not expecting!




There were some people there from an owl rescue sanctuary, so the children were pleased to bits, and even braved stroking this beautiful owl!
My parents came to visit on Monday and Tuesday, and we started getting the bulbs planted - but, when you haven't seen your Mum for months, and you get talking, you end up planting bulbs in the waning light, and virtual darkness! *chuckles*

Then, we had more illness appear, with my throat getting hit with the virus that had appeared, and other children falling prey to it all.  That, and Elijah with a nasty ear infection.

To add joy to my week, Simeon started to roll everywhere and to sit up.  One day he wasn't doing it, the next day he was!! It's always fun to watch a baby realise how much they can see and do from a sitting position.  


Talk to a teddy bear...


Oh, and we have started weaning.  With socks?...... well, that's what he was attempting.  Otherwise he has managed bread, pieces of broccoli, mashed fruit, mashed veg and fruit smoothie mixes.  My little baby is getting big - eating and on the move. *sigh loudly*


By Friday, there was enough improvement of health to have a walk to the Post Office.  It was a lovely clear, crisp, cold day and it was so lovely to just get outside for some fresh air after weeks and weeks of illness.



By the end of the week, more have come down with the throat thing - Joshua, and Robert is not feeling 100% either. 

Today reminded me of something to share. 

I have been "dieting", of sorts.  Well, I certainly have been trying to lose weight for the last month or so.  However, I started on a new eating plan.  It's called Whole30, and the aim is to do it for 30 days, and then re-add food groups back into your diet and see how it affects your body.  Basically, you cut out all grain, dairy, sugars & sweeteners, white potatoes and legumes.  Yes, ALL those things.  You eat 3 meals a day, and try to not snack in between.  Each meal must have protein, veg and a "healthy fat".  I have got used to it quite quickly, and enjoy what I am eating.  The bonus of it is that it helps you to shift weight.  I have been doing it for 13 days, and already my skirt has got looser and I can get back into my preg-pregnancy, favourite denim skirts! AND, I can get my wedding and engagement ring back on.  I am SO thrilled! 



Who wouldn't want to eat a lovely dinner like that??  I am loving eating the sweet potatoes...yum-my!

So, imagine the struggle it was tonight.  

I bake for a shared tea at Church, for the first Sunday of every month. I like to try new recipes, and usually I would try what I make.  But, no dairy, no grains, no sugar.... no trying baking.

I was trying out the new tin I treated myself to from Lakeland this week (well, I was ordering some Christmas things, and decided I needed to treat myself to cheer me up!!.... *aherm* ), and making THESE little babies...



Do you see that?...little, cute, gorgeous individual cakes - diddy lemon sponges, with lemon buttercream frosting, lightly dusted with icing sugar. 

However,  I couldn't even LICK MY FINGERS to clean them, as I was frosting them.   

What AGONY.

What TORTURE.

I guess I will just have to make them again after 30 days are up, and not eat more than one...



 Here is the recipe, if you are interested.  I can't tell you if they are any good, as I couldn't do my usual "try before you serve them to the world" policy. If they taste as good as they look, they will be fine!   I can't wait to try out my tin for others things - individual sticky toffee puddings springs to mind, as well as individual cheesecakes.  They are BRILLIANT tins, and you don't even need to grease or line them.  Being little, loose-based tins, they pop out so easily.  Another triumph from Lakeland.

So, thus ends my up and down week.  

Yes, there are 2 more potential candidates to get ill, but we WILL get through it.  Above all else, I can praise the Lord at all times.  I don't have to rejoice ABOUT my trials, but rejoice IN them.  There is always something to be thankful for, and I can count many, many blessings, amongst the difficult moments.  

I am blessed beyond measure.

So, here's to less of this....




And more of this.......










No comments :

Post a Comment