Wednesday 28 November 2012

No pit so deep

I have been having a tough few weeks, hence the blog silence.

I have had one or more person ill in this house, for nearly FOUR weeks.

I have, too, been ill amongst it all.  Last week, and again today.

Swollen tonsils.

Chest infections.

Ear infection.

Cough.

Sinuses.

Colds.

High temperatures.

Generally, yuck.

I. Am. Tired.

It's been the toughest time of sickness in this household, ever.

And yet, despite the fact that I feel so humanly weak.  So humanly weary.  So humanly fraught.

I am sustained by the power, grace and never-failing love of my heavenly Father.

My children are listening to "The Hiding Place" whilst tidying the kitchen for me. (There's a blessing all on its own - the older ones have been SUCH a help.....)  I just heard a wonderful quote, from Betsy Ten Boom.  If she could say this, what are my struggles?



"There is no pit so deep that He is not deeper still" Betsie Ten Boom



She, who was held in a prison in war-torn Europe, in conditions that were vile, filthy and humanly horrendous.  Yet, she still gave thanks to the Lord, amidst such conditions.

My days, over the last few weeks, no matter how hard, are nothing.

"This too shall pass"

No matter how deep we feel we have sunk, in difficulties, trials and hardships, the Lord is still there.  His love goes deeper than the depths of our despair, and He holds us up with His hands.

The verse of the wonderful old hymn "How Firm a Foundation" springs to mind.


"In every condition, in sickness, in health;
In poverty’s vale, or abounding in wealth;
At home and abroad, on the land, on the sea,
As thy days may demand, shall thy strength ever be."


We are given the strength we need, for the circumstances which the Lord allows.  When we are weak, then we are strong.

Based on that premise, I am strong right about now. And, it's true, I am.  I am so incredibly strengthened, and have managed to cope, with few stressy moments, and mostly calmness.  Ok, I have had my odd moment, but all things considered, I feel so very blessed by God's goodness.

I have also very much felt the prayers of so many, who I know have been praying for me.  Had I had this happen even a year or so ago, and without the prayers of my friends, I would not have been coping so well as I am now.

All of the Lord, none of self.

So, I end another day, with a new child falling ill, and I look to the Lord for whatever tomorrow brings.  And a chorus of a hymn, based on a wonderful scripture (my favourite hymn), springs to mind.



"Great is Thy faithfulness,
Great is Thy faithfulness,
Morning by morning new mercies I see,
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided,
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me."




 "It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. 
They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. 
 The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him."
Lamentations 3:22-24





Looking forward to tomorrow, where His mercies will be new, and His compassions will still be unfailing.











No comments :

Post a Comment